Wednesday, September 21, 2011

El Fresco Italian Restaurant @ Empire Shopping Gallery

One fine weekend, Lisa, Kean and I were hunting for food in a fairly new shopping centre in Subang - Empire Shopping Gallery. After taking a walk around the 'food' floor (where most of the restaurants and cafes are located), we decided to have our dinner in El Fresco Italian Restaurant. This restaurant setup was a little different from the rest - it is located inside Jaya Grocers.

El Fresco is a grocerant (grocer + restaurant). Here, you can actually choose your own meat or seafood from the super market and have it cooked for you for an extra RM6 on top of the meat or seafood purchase. It also comes with a side of alio olio spaghetti, stir-fried mixed vegetables or salad.

They only cook a limited selections of meat and seafood only. Guess a lot has to do with its costs, or else everyone will go for the cheaper cuts :P

I regret for not bringing my DSLR with me, which I initially did intend to bring with me that day as I had in mind to snap some food pictures. Please bear with the 'not-so-interesting' pictures. I promise to make it up in the later blog posts with nicer and sharper pictures :)

We ordered a Quarto pizza - I guess quarto refers to the four main ingredients which are turkey ham, anchovies, olives and mushrooms. Yes, let's not to forget that the pizza was topped with mozzarella cheese. It did not turn out to be quite what we had expected it to be; the turkey ham, anchovies, olives and mushrooms are all divided quarterly. Can't really taste everything in one bite :(

Quarto pizza

We hand-picked a piece of sirloin cut of Aussie beef and Norwegian salmon and handed these to the cashier as he took our orders. We had the sirloin steak paired with stir-fried mixed vegetables and salmon with alio olio spaghetti. I was quite pleased with the art the food that was served, however not really with its quality. The sirloin steak served was well done, instead of medium (which I had requested for), and its taste was rather bland - just beefy, and the mixed vegetables were a bit salty but I guess you have to eat both the meat and the vegetables together. The salmon was OK though I would have preferred the skin to be a little crispier, and slightly more chilli flakes and garlic would be better with the spaghetti.

Sirloin steak with mixed vegetables

Salmon with alio olio spaghetti

Overall, the food was OK. The total bill came up to RM73.35 for 3 main courses (Breakdown: Quarto pizza RM24, Sirloin steak RM18.60+RM6 and Salmon RM18.75+RM6) which I felt it was reasonable. I do like the concept of selecting your own meat and getting them to cook it for you, but perhaps this is why the meat tasted bland.

Location:
El Fresco Italian Kitchen (its inside Jaya Grocer),
Lot 6, LG-G1, Empire Shopping Gallery,
Jalan Ss16/1,
47500 Subang Jaya,
Selangor Darul Ehsan,
Malaysia.

No comments:

Post a Comment

obsessed