Monday, June 6, 2011

Desperado

2 weeks ago, I was desperate to whip something from scratch in the kitchen. Having said that, I can live so ''frugally" I have a minimalist pantry.
All I have in this bowl is eggs and flour. Wonder what it will lead to?
It is getting more colourful! Carrots are forever in my fridge.
Viola ! Its 'jeon', I can't really call it 'Pa Jeon' because I do not have green onions/scallions in it (essentially the pa) In case you are wondering, 'Jeon' is a korean pancake.
I had to just put this picture up because it shows the crispy bit at the end. It took me three tries to get this crispiness, and it is still not thin enough. I really need to ask the koreans how they could get their batter so thinly on the pan.
It should have been a mixture of soy sauce and vinegar for the dipping sauce, however all I did was just korean chilli powder in our chinese red vinegar. I really needed to use up the red vinegar.

Full recipe (I did half)
600-700g zucchini (used a medium zucchini)
2 tsp salt
2 carrrots, grated
onion (not added in this attempt)
2 cups plain flour (used glutenfree flour)
2 large eggs
2-3 cups of water
salt and pepper to taste (essential!!!)

1. Top and tail zucchini, toss with salt and leave it aside for 30 minutes to soften and allow liquid to drain out.
2. Beat eggs lightly to combine.
3. Add flour and whisk till thoroughly incorporated, whisk well after each cup (reach consistency of this pancake but not watery)
4. Add zucchini and mix in. Grate onion, carrot and stir till well combined.
5. Fry in little oil over low heat.

I wouldn't say they are quick fix because I am an absolute amateur in this. They are however good as a side dish in my lunchbox.

No comments:

Post a Comment

obsessed