Monday, June 13, 2011

Mex bacon enchiladas, my way =)

Have been debating (or more accurately contemplating) on recipes to make during the long weekend, to be more productive instead of bumming around. From baking cupcakes or muffins to pasta dishes, I settled with bacon enchiladas. The main reason being I have most of the ingredients (or substitute) without spending more money.

My recipe (which is not truly authentic enchiladas) makes 4 wraps
4 multigrain tortilla wraps
Half an onion
Diced bacon
Baked beans (specifically SPC hot chilli ones for the spiciness)
Grated carrot (doesn't exist in authentic recipes)
Grated cheese (used vintage buttt... I'm sure tasty works better)
Sliced lettuce
Mild peri peri sauce (my extra ingredient!)

1. Preheat wraps in the oven (180C). Authentic enchilada makers encourage wraps to be dipped in sauce individually before using them as wraps.
2. Fry off onions and bacon bits.
3. Drain liquid from baked beans and reserve them. Mix the baked beans into pan.
4. Add peri peri sauce and grated carrot.
5. Lay sliced lettuce on base, before topping with filling and rolling it.
6. Layer the baking dish with reserved sauce and assemble the rolls on it.
6. Cover the tortilla rolls with remaining sauce and cheese.
7. Place dish in the preheated oven, and bake for another 10-15 minutes.

I definitely needed more sauce and possibly cheese on it. However, I am so conscious with my intake of cheese I stopped myself.
I've seasoned it further with slight mixed herbs and pepper before eating. And... I totally love it, I had to take another one from my packed lunches to enjoy.

As you can tell, sliced lettuce or carrots are normally served as salad sides but I've decided to put them into the wraps for work lunches convenience. Having said that, I will still be making a small salad to go along with these enchiladas.

A new label for the blog: Frugal recipes. Then again, some might debate my recipes aren't exactly frugal but they are definitely still cheap eats.

No comments:

Post a Comment

obsessed