Sunday, May 8, 2011

Ratatouille- where's the rat?

The movie which inspired many others to make the dish!

Referring to the previous post of our French theme, here's a recipe to my Ratatouille (very much based on Julia Child's and other random reads)

Both zucchinis and eggplant were salted and left to stand for 30 minutes. This technique drains out the water content in these vegetables.

Recipe which serves 4 (entree-size based on my judgment)
1/2 red onion
2 1/2 zucchinis
2 1/2 capsicums
2 Lebanese eggplant
1 can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup fresh basil, roughly chopped
Salt and pepper to taste, olive oil too
1. Saute the eggplants and zucchinis lightly, doing it one layer at a time on a pan. Set aside.
2. Fry the red onions and capsicums. Season to taste.
3. Add in tomatoes. Simmer until the juices evaporate.
4. In the pot/ casserole dish (which I do not have), layer the vegetables and let simmer for 30 minutes ensuring the vegetables do not burn.
5. Stir in basil at the end before serving.
Two very similar pictures, because I am still experimenting! At the same time, I really dislike taking photos during the dark at my place. The lightbulb does not help too. Can I blame the camera too? =P

note: Apparently the flavours develop overnight making it a more intense flavoured dish. I did not have any leftovers to prove it personally, but will definitely make this dish again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

obsessed