Monday, August 8, 2011

Be a lady with Lady Daly?

The excitement when I was invited to a hightea at Lady Daly's hotel was indescribable, but I had to say I was disappointed as soon as I stepped in. I was in for a hightea in a pub setting.
First tier of the high teas were supposed to be savoury. BUT the savoury and sweet were not arranged accordingly- and on the base were scones (already spreaded jam and cream) as well as mini quiches and portugese egg tarts.

I do not like my scones presented that way (my buddies will know why), and they all came out fairly cold. The portugese egg tarts and quiches weren't bad, its 'okay'.
Second tier were the assorted sandwiches: cucumber, curried egg, ham&cheese and tuna. Different quantities of sandwiches were provided, thus there cannot be an equal distribution of sandwiches. Sizes of the sandwiches were not particularly appealing when two tuna sandwiches were of the same size, and another appeared as if it was squished between two pans in the kitchen (look at them far back!). I surprisingly liked the flavours of the tuna sandwiches and the ham&cheese ones; however the cucumber sandwiches were a bit dry.
Third tier were a platter of sweets which include assorted profiteroles and chocolate square cups. The profiteroles fillings weren't bad; I had a taste of tiramisu and irish cream. I was again disappointed with the chocolate cups as they were only filled with cream (!!!) and a small piece of strawberry.

It could be my problem because I have a HUGE problem with cream. The hightea includes free flowing of coffee,tea and sparkling (Winery Road Brut Cuvee), have as much as you want between 2-4pm and costs $35. Having said that, they clearly lacked waiting staff to meet the needs of their customers and the only beverage orders I could get in were one cup of coffee and three glasses of sparkling (after much reminders). The place was extremely packed on that Saturday afternoon though.

Do I feel like a lady with Lady Daly? No. Would I pay to go there again? No (fullstop)

The Lady Daly Hotel
126 Port Road
Hindmarsh SA 5007

No comments:

Post a Comment

obsessed