Saturday, August 20, 2011

Something light and different

Lemons were in season a couple of months ago and I decided to make this...

Zucchini, lemon and feta spaghetti

This was taken from the Sanitarium’s Health and Happiness Cookbook, but, unfortunately I lost the recipe, so I just ‘played it by ear’.

So here’s my version:
2 tbsp of olive oil
1 large zucchini, grated (I ended up using a peeler instead)
A few button mushrooms, sliced
Juice of 1-2 lemons
Spaghetti, cooked al dente
Feta cheese, crumbed
Salt and black pepper

1. Heat oil in a pan. Cook zucchini and mushrooms till soft.
2. Add lemon juice, cooked spaghetti and salt and pepper to taste. Mix thoroughly.
3. Turn off heat and add crumbed feta cheese. Stir through.
4. Serve, topped with extra cheese (optional).

The sourness of the lemon juice actually balances out the 'heaviness' of the spaghetti. The only downside is that it does not complement garlic bread (which I love, by the way). It truly is a perfect summer dish, but then again, lemons won't be in season in December, will they?

No comments:

Post a Comment

obsessed