Sunday, September 18, 2011

Ramen cook-off!

After watching Wongfu Productions’ Wongfu Weekends Episode 60 last week, we decided to hold our own ramen cook-off. It made sense; both of us (i.e. Mich and Jin) love instant ramen and have it regularly, especially when there is nothing else to eat at home.


*Jin’s ramen!*
*Mich's ramen!*

VS


















Thoughts from Jin

Ok, I admit that I bought some extra ingredients for this ‘cook-off’, but I do actually use these ingredients in my ramen if they are available. What did I use? Nong Shim’s Hot & Spicy ramen, enoki mushrooms, soft tofu, tofu puffs, cabbage and an egg and viola!

Honestly, it took me ages to make that, and it didn’t have the same satisfaction which I normally have after a bowl of spicy ramen on a wet and miserable day. To ‘present’ this properly took a lot of effort compared to my usual ‘eat-out-of-the-pot’ concept. I think instant ramen dinners should be done on the spur of the moment, when you really want/need it, and not pre-planned. To quote Ted Fu: “Let’s be practical here” (Ted, I so agree with you!).

I don’t think I will attempt another cook-off. In future, I might just take a snapshot of how I normally eat my ramen rather than this… >.<

Thoughts from Mich

On my side, I thought this ramen cook-off was a total failure. Knowing that I have to take pictures of it, I could not work at my usual speed or way of cooking.

So in my bowl were Nong-shim Hot and Spicy noodles [total hardcore fan], enoki mushrooms [it's mixed together with the noodles], white mushrooms, fishcakes of different shapes and sizes, an egg as well as tofu. Honestly tofu never ever makes it into my ramen but I had leftovers from another meal and I had to do this cook-off too, so into the pot it went. Fishcakes, again, are also another story. These were not my usual kind of fishcakes as I love the thin Korean ones instead but the shops ran out of my favourite kind. These were not yummy and they were of a different Korean brand. As if there wasn't enough ''pressure'', my yolk had to break at the very last second when I was presenting it. That was depressing.

Our Verdict
This cook-off beats the purpose of ramen to start with. We are, after all, the young professionals who eat instant ramen after a long day at work and just need quick food to fill our tummies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

obsessed